Build on the rock
Again the disciple came to him and said “What shall we do to do the works of God?”
This is the work God wants you to do… the dictionary meaning for WORK
- is Physical or mental effort or activity directed toward the production or accomplishment of something
- Something that has been produced or accomplished through the effort, activity
- To exert oneself physically or mentally in order to do, make, or accomplish something
- To increase one’s skill, responsibility, efficiency, or status through work
- To engage in strenuous exercise for physical or mental conditioning
This is the work of God… any clues?????
That you believe in him whom he has sent…
- The word “believe” here means cleave too, trust in, rely on, have total faith in…
- What does it mean to believe
Christ is the answer… this is how do you do this work?
- You look at what Jesus did on the cross, you believe it, you work here and all your Christian works will follow,
- It means you study the finished work, you believe the promises in him, and there are no promises outside of him apart from destruction.
- You are healed
- You are saved, not condemned
- You are anointed
- Things like greater work will you do
- You are secure in him
- Accepted in him
Where is your faith?
In the story Luke 8.22-25…The disciples where in the boat with Jesus and the wind and the waves were strong, so strong that the seasoned fishermen were terrified for their lives… Jesus was asleep when they awoke him in terror… he stood up and rebuked the wind and the waves and then turned to the disciples and said Where is your faith?
- Not that they didn’t have faith just where have you put it?
- They were in the boat with God, but coz he was asleep they feared the wind and the waves and woke him cry, don’t you fear that we are going to perish
Jesus said where is your faith? Is it in you or him?